Pages

Tuesday, October 16, 2007

A Day Late for the Environment

Yesterday was Blog Action Day. I was supposed to have participated, in a worldwide blog event supporting the environment.

And I forgot.

Actually, I didn't forget; I was too busy. It sprang to mind during my commute both ways from work (in which I didn't carpool), and then I just didn't have time either before or after business hours to blog away. I was just preoccupied with printing out pages to proof at work, using electricity to keep me going, eating food that was pre-packaged, and throwing out my trash.

When I was on the way home, I went to Wal-Mart and bought snack food that I carried out of the store in plastic bags.

In short: I didn't reuse, reduce, or recycle a single thing.

It's funny how easy it is to be a wasteful, planet-harming consumer. It's all about MY convenience, MY needs, and MY desires. How selfish of ME! I don't stop to think about how the chemicals I pour down the drain (paint, nail polish remover, bleach, any cleaner) affect my fellow community members. I don't think about how much I rely on plastic to get through my day, or how that plastic is made. I don't even concern myself that much with the exhaust coming out of my car. And yet I wonder why so many people (my mother included) get cancer, or have severe allergies, or come down with a headache. Shame on me. Shame on us all.

Sometimes Christians shudder at the thought of PETA or the Sierra Club and how they place animals and vegetables above Humans.

But, let me ask you this: what was man's first job? Taking care of God's creation! (Genesis 1, if I need to remind you). It's not just a silly, liberal conspiracy started by Al Gore; it's reality. We have trashed our world.

It's time to wake up, accept responsibility, and start tending the garden!

1 comment:

Joy said...

but what if I want to eat the garden?? hahaha =0)

Truly, I hear you. And since I've become a pescatarian, I have wandered numerous times to PETA's web site. I am all for the humane treating of animals... even animals that are going to be eaten... it's when they start acting like the animals are more important then people that I start to shudder...