Pages

Tuesday, September 11, 2007

I remember

The eleventh day of September.

This day, six years ago, I was driving to my biology lab early in the morning and overheard commentators on the radio deliberating if Nashville was adequately prepared for an attack. I thought it was a role-play show. Or an advertisement for some political figure. And then the radio announcer said "... this just in ... a second plane has hit the Towers."

And I realized it was all for real.

We all stood around the televisions that day, at MTSU. Like moths to a bug lamp, we were drawn to the terror and couldn't look away as the horrific images flashed before our eyes. After seeing the figures of people dropping through the air, and the clouds of smoke, and the collapsing of uncollapsible steel and glass, we were numb. What had happened? How had it happened? And WHY? I still don't understand.

No comments: